This post contains links to products from our advertisers, and we may be compensated when you click on these links. Our recommendations and advice are ours alone, and have not been reviewed by any issuers listed. Terms apply to offers listed on this page. Read our editorial standards.
- The Walmart+ membership that comes free with The Platinum Card® from American Express
just got more valuable.
- Walmart+ members can now save 10 cents per gallon at participating US Exxon Mobil stations.
- You’ll need to activate your Walmart+ membership and use the Walmart app to get the discount.
- Read Insider’s guide to the best rewards credit cards.
Disclaimer: Amex is an Insider advertiser.
Amex made significant changes to The Platinum Card® from American Express last year, increasing the annual fee to $695 (See Rates) and adding a slew of new perks. These new benefits include monthly statement credits that completely offset the cost of a Walmart+ membership.
Now Walmart+ has become much more valuable. Previously, Walmart+ members could receive a discount of 5 cents per gallon when they used their Walmart app to fill up at Walmart, Murphy USA, Murphy Express, and Sam’s Club gas stations. This discount has now been increased to up to 10 cents per gallon, and even better, it now applies at all Exxon and Mobil gas stations as well.
The addition of Exxon and Mobil gas stations to this benefit makes a Walmart+ membership a lot more worthwhile — and expands the number of gas stations eligible for the discount to over 14,000 nationwide (a sixfold increase).
Here’s how to get your gas discount if you’re a Walmart+ member.
Walmart+ members save 10 cents per gallon at Exxon and Mobil
See Pay Over Time APR
Recommended Credit Score
Good to Excellent
See Pay Over Time APR
Recommended Credit Score
Good to Excellent
- Long list of travel benefits, including airport lounge access and complimentary elite status with Hilton and Marriott (enrollment required)
- Annual statement credits with Saks and Uber
- Bonus categories leave something to be desired
- One of the highest annual fees among premium travel cards
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
Some cardholders dismissed the addition of a free Walmart+ membership as too niche and not worth much to the average Platinum Card user. Walmart+ does offer some handy features beyond gas discounts, including free shipping with no minimum purchase requirement, free delivery (with a minimum $35 purchase), early access to
sales, and a six-month free Spotify Premium membership.
Now, Walmart+ members get discounts at the following gas stations when they use the Walmart app:
- Participating Exxon and Mobil stations: 10 cents per gallon
- Walmart, Murphy’s, and Sam’s Club stations: 5 to 10 cents per gallon (depending on state regulations)
The expansion of the Walmart+ gas discount makes taking advantage of the free membership a no-brainer for those who fill up at Exxon and Mobil stations, even occasionally. I’d registered for the membership back in October when the benefit launched but never used the gas discount because I don’t have a Walmart, Murphy USA, or Sam’s Club gas station near me.
But my go-to local gas station is a Mobil so I loaded up the Walmart app on my phone to try out the feature.
How to get Exxon and Mobile gas discounts with Walmart+ membership
If you have a Platinum Card and haven’t yet registered for a Walmart+ membership, read Insider’s guide to using the Amex Platinum Walmart+ benefit to help get set up. Be sure to add the credit card you want to use to pay for gas to your account, as well.
Once you’ve enrolled, download the Walmart app to your phone, otherwise, you won’t be able to get the discount. From this point, there are a couple of ways to activate the discount at your Exxon or Mobil station.
If you have location access enabled on your phone’s Walmart app and you open your app at a participating station, you’ll get a pop-up that asks if you’re ready to fuel up at that location. But if you prefer to not have location services turned on, there’s another option. Once you’re at the pump, under the “Services” menu, select the “Member prices on fuel” option.
A QR code scanner will open up. Scan the QR code on the pump with the app to start the process instead.
You’ll then be prompted to enter the fuel pump number (#9, in this case) and confirm the credit card you want to use.
After a few seconds, the pump should activate and you’ll be able to dispense your fuel as normal. The discounted price should appear on the fuel grade selector automatically.
When you’re finished filling your tank, you’ll see the 10-cent per gallon discount reflected on your receipt (both printed and on the app).
Getting a $1.49 discount on a tank of gas doesn’t seem like a huge deal, but if you add it up over the long term, this benefit could save the average customer a nice chunk of change. I fill up my tank about four times a month; at $1.49 per tank that’s around $6 per month in savings, or $72 a year.
Of course, you’ll only realize true savings if you would have filled up at a participating gas station anyway; in many locations, Exxon or Mobil might not be your cheapest option and you could save more per gallon, even without the Walmart discount, by going to another station. For instance, I have a Costco membership and always make a point of filling up there when I’m in the area — and the savings are much more than 10 cents per gallon.
This new discount isn’t reason enough to consider opening The Platinum Card® from American Express — but if you’re already a cardholder, it’s a nice little benefit that can help offset the card’s substantial annual fee. And given the price of gas right now, savings at the pump are that much sweeter.
Jasmin Baron is an editor at Insider, responsible for credit card coverage on Personal Finance Insider. She is also a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).Before joining the Insider team, she was a senior editor at The Points Guy and Million Mile Secrets, covering credit cards, points and miles, and loyalty programs. Her expertise in maximizing travel rewards grew from over two decades of experience in the aviation industry, including 18 years working as a pilot and flight instructor in her native Canada.You can reach Jasmin at email@example.com.
Learn more about how Personal Finance Insider chooses, rates, and covers financial products and services »